In this busy world, we too often forget general etiquette tips. We get in a hurry, get stuck in traffic and then wham next thing you know, you have just been extremely rude to more than half a dozen people who got caught in the midst of your rampage.
While many of us keep these tips filed in the back of our mind, sometimes you just need a bit of a refresher. Let’s take it back to the basics.
• Acknowledge those around you.
• Make eye contact.
• Have a friendly attitude – smile!
• Ask others how their day is going.
• When in public remember you are sharing the space with others.
• A speakerphone is only meant to be used as a convenience. Not everyone wants to be a part of your conversation.
• Hold the door for others. There’s nothing worse than having a door shut in your face, especially when your hands are full.
• If you feel a cough or sneeze coming on, cover both your nose and mouth and turn away from others.
• When dining it’s always a good idea to utilize a fork, knife and napkin.
• Restaurant workers make most of their money through tips, so tip kindly.
• Share the road with others.
• Stop for pedestrians in walkways.
• Don’t steal a parking space from someone who has been waiting.
• Don’t litter.
• Be honest.
• Respect the opinions of others. Even if you don’t agree.
• Treat others how you would like to be treated.
• Don’t take the credit. If it is not your idea then you have no right to take claim of an idea.
• If you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face, then don’t say it all.
Before you unleash your anger on a call center representative because you have been on hold for 10 minutes – Stop – think about how many times they have already heard that today. Then think about how you would like to be treated if that were your position.
How great does it feel when that one car finally stops at the cross walk for you? Or when someone who has a large load at the grocery store lets you and your 5 items go ahead? Today is the day you should start treating others with kindness and consideration and you may just see that you get lots of it in return.