Dress for the Occasion- Always make sure you are appropriately dressed for the occasion, there is nothing worse than standing out… in a bad way. It is always better to be overdressed then underdressed. You can always take off pieces and dress down if you are overdressed; unfortunately if you are underdressed you cannot dress it up. If you receive an invitation with a specific dress code, always follow it. It is rude to blatantly ignore a specific dressing request for an event.
- Fit: Wear clothes that are comfortable and the correct size. A garment should never be too tight or too loose. Clothes should hug and complement the body.
- Length: The length is just as important as fit. A skirt hem depends on the height of a person. Clothes must not be too short or too long.
- Shoes: Shoes need to be comfortable and appropriate for the occasion. If you will be standing for a long period of time, make sure that you wear a shoe that you can last a full day in.
- 360 View- Remember that people see you 50% from the front and 50% from the back. When putting together an outfit make sure the outfit is neat and appropriate from all angles.
Faux Pas- There is a certain time and place for everything. Although we live in a more casual society, it is important that we avoid being too casual and stick to a polished look. These rules apply to business as well as business casual.
- Too Many Accessories
- See- Through Clothes
- Soiled or Smelly Clothing
- Revealing Neckline
- Revealing Undergarments
- Inappropriate Logos on Clothing
- Wearing Hats Inside
- Sneakers/ Sandals with Suits
Point of Focus- Every outfit needs one focal point whether it is a colorful blouse, tie, blazer, dress, or accessory. No matter what focal point you choose for an outfit, make sure that the pieces you wear surrounding that focal piece are complementary. If you wear something with a bright pattern the other items can be softer and non-distracting from the focal point. Avoid wearing too many accessories at once. Too many pieces can create a disorganized and chaotic look.
Think about these tips when getting ready for business events. Know the occasion and dress accordingly.