Fall season means sports season. As a fan, there are certain etiquette standards that every spectator should abide by. No matter what type of event you are at whether it be a high school game or professional match, always ensure a positive time for yourself and others. Here are a few tips to help you stay game day savy.[star_list]
- Be a Good Sport- When you go to a sporting event, you are there to cheer on a certain team. Cheering against the other team happens, but make sure to always be respectful to those around you. Do not taunt opposing fans and players, you could end up in a regrettable situation. No matter if you are at a high school event or a professional event, always mind your manners.
- Watch What You Say . . . Watch your language. You and your friends may think it is perfectly acceptable to throw curses at the opposing team and fans, but the family with small children sitting behind you probably disagrees.
- Keep Drinking to a Minimum- We all know that tailgating is half the fun of attending sporting events, however it is always important to be aware of your alcohol intake. Too much alcohol mixed with sports can be a recipe for disaster.
- Personal Space- Be aware of your surroundings. Do not spread out over an entire bench. You get one seat and that’s all. If you stand up, be sure you are not blocking the people behind you. As you enter and exit the row to get back to your seat make sure to always say excuse me. Remember that every seat has a paid ticket for it, just because someone is not at their seat at the beginning of the game, does not mean that it is yours to put stuff in.
- Be extra-nice to your waiters and waitresses. Over-crowded working conditions put a lot of stress on them. If there was ever a time to be a big tipper, this is it! Bonus: You are more likely to be remembered next time and will be well taken care of.
- Be Gracious- If you attend a party or tailgate for a sporting event, it is always polite to send a thank you note after the event. After all, this person did spend time on planning and preparing for hosting the event.
[/star_list]Ensure you are on the winning team by keeping these pointers in mind. Have fun and as they say, ”play ball!”